Los Angeles Beer Festival : Beer fest at Sony Studios! April 10 1pm-4pm or 5pm-8pm
Sony Studios 10202 Washington Blvd ($40 admit, unlimited 4oz beer pours)



See the new issue of
Savuer! Its all about Los Angeles and the cover story is Pizzeria Mozza!


Tuesday, January 26, 2010

No money to eat out, pulled chicken sandwiches at home

So just one day after starting this blog my laptop computer decided to lay down and die.  So for the next couple of week my husband and I decided we need to stay home and save money so I can get an awesome new computer that wont die on me during grad school. 


So lunch time for me mean tasty sandwiches at home after school.

So I used the CookingLight pulled chicken recipe.  Its a good recipe to make one day and then keep it in the fridge for a few days, to eat when there's nothing else in the apartment.


3  tablespoons  ketchup
1  tablespoon  cider vinegar
1  tablespoon  prepared mustard
1  tablespoon  molasses
3/4  teaspoon  chili powder
1/2  teaspoon  ground cumin
1/4  teaspoon  freshly ground black pepper
1/8  teaspoon  ground ginger
12  ounces  skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 2-inch pieces
4  (2-ounce) sandwich rolls, cut in half horizontally
12  dill pickle chips


1. Combine first 9 ingredients in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, 23 minutes or until chicken is done and tender. Remove from heat; shred with 2 forks to measure 2 cups meat. Place 1/2 cup chicken on bottom half of each roll. Top each with 3 pickles and top half of roll.
Nutritional Information*



Now the calorie count for this is 294 calories and I think that a little high for 3 oz of chicken and some ketchup especially since we used this super low calorie buns.  What this recipe is missing is the tangy creamy cole slaw on top.  I hate coleslaw but man do I like it on top of pulled pork (alright chicken).  So to make up for this minor oversight and because I have room to spare in the calorie department I added a tablespoon of Runny Ranch Dressing (though I didnt water it down as much so it didnt run all over my plate.)  With a side of sea salt and vinegar potato chips this is a pretty dang good substitute for a meal out!


*
Calories: 294
Fat: 6.5g (sat 1.5g,mono 2.6g,poly 1.4g)
Protein: 22g
Carbohydrate: 35.6g
Fiber: 1.8g
Cholesterol: 71mg
Iron: 3.1mg
Sodium: 698mg
Calcium: 105mg

No comments:

Post a Comment