Los Angeles Beer Festival : Beer fest at Sony Studios! April 10 1pm-4pm or 5pm-8pm
Sony Studios 10202 Washington Blvd ($40 admit, unlimited 4oz beer pours)



See the new issue of
Savuer! Its all about Los Angeles and the cover story is Pizzeria Mozza!


Friday, February 5, 2010

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO BECCA!!

So in case you DON'T know already, today is my friend Becca's birthday.  She's turning the amazing age of 25 and I got to be the lucky person who got her all to myself for lunch.  How cool is that?  Well she's a much better foodie than I am and therefore has already been everywhere and already has her favorites.  So where does a foodie go for a casual yummy lunch on her 25 birthday?

Pizzeria Mozza!

Oh my gosh this place is too cute.  Its kinda small and very Italian rustic looking.  Obviously they specialize in pizza, and have a TON on the menu, but they also have a few classic Italian dishes if you're just not feeling pizza today.  But we were!  I was really excited because they had not one but TWO POTATO pizzas!  If you've never had a potato pizza before PLEASE do not knock it until you try it.  Keep in mind typically potato pizzas do not have marinara sauce but often a garlic or butter sauce to keep the cheese on.  Potato. Cheese. Butter.  Garlic. Amazing.

Well my pizza here at Pizzeria Mozza was better than your run of the mill potato pizza.  It was hearty comfort potato pizza, with bacon, onions, cheese and an egg in the middle.  How can you beat that?  So as I was staring at my pizza I kept thinking I had seen this somewhere before, and which my handy dandy interweb I figured it out.  The Best Thing I Ever Ate : Pizza.  There two pizzas on there 1. Yukon Gold Potato Pizza in NY, NY and 2. Bacon, Egg and Cheese Pizza at LittlDoms in Los Angeles.  MY pizza was BOTH of these pizza's put together.  So amazingly good!

Back to the story so my pizza was fabulous, Rebecca's Mushroom explosion (Funghi misti) was to die for.  It was covered in really rich and yummy mushrooms.  

Then it was dessert time, and we only ate half our pizzas but the dessert menu came anyways and everyone knows that I have a sweet tooth and so I got dessert.  And because I got dessert Becca was free to get dessert too.  I got the Meyer Lemon gelato Pie, and Becca got the butterscotch budino. 

Lets start with my dish the pie.  So I caught between the pie and the Caramel with marshmallow sauce and when I asked the server he said pie no question.  Pie it is!  So what I wasn't prepared for at first was there was a tangy bite in this pie.  The filling is gelato, very very lemony gelato.  Wonderful and then it looks like they reduced down some lemon juice with some sugar and drizzled it all over the plate which was the super tangy stuff.  That yellow stuff on top candied lemon rind which was actually really good.  Very Very Good Dessert.

Then came Becca's dessert and she's been here before and had decided on this amazing dessert before we had even arrived because she's had it before and knew it was amazing.  So basically it is a butterscotch pudding concoction with little rosemary pine nut cookies.  So what you don't realize about this tasty little treat is that there is a layer on top of the pudding.  A sea salty layer.  Its crazy!  Its Salty!  Its amazing!  I haven't had this new wave of savory-ish desserts but this fits the bill.  Super good butterscotch and then you get this hit of salty after taste.  Its really hard to describe I suppose you will just have to go there and try it now wont you?

Pizzeria Mozza: 5 points.  Hands Down.  Go There.  Now.

No comments:

Post a Comment